Summer Roofing Maintenance Advice
Tips to Keep Your Roof in Good Working Order from an Oakland Roofing Services Firm
Your Bay Area roof takes a beating all winter long, and summer storms add to the wear and tear. Fortunately, basic summer maintenance activities can prolong the life of your roof and protect your home from water damage and rodent infestation. Here’s a quick primer on what to do.
- Conduct a thorough inspection. Look for loose, broken, or missing shingles, moss, and debris in roof valleys and in the gutters. Check all flashings around chimneys, skylights, and vents.
- Repair or replace any loose gutters.
- Clean all gutters, and make sure all downspouts are clog-free.
- Check all sealants, and replace if loose or cracked.
- Treat any mold or lichen growth on the roof, and clean this grime off the shingles.
- Check eaves and overhangs for water stains, and make any necessary roof repair.
- Identify gaps that may allow rodents to enter your home, and seal them.
- Check undersides of all eaves and remove any debris, taking care to avoid wasps or other stinging insects that may have built hives.
- Take a flashlight into your attic and look for water leaks, which will reflect the light.
- Ensure all attic fans are in working order.
- Check for signs of past or current rodent infestation, and contact a professional in roofing services to address any problem.
- Check insulation levels, since an overheated attic can cause damage to the roof.
Contact The Leaders in Bay Area Roof Repair
If you identify problems that require professional roofing contractors, contact Ben’s Roofing at (510) 690-8570 for quality assistance at an affordable price. We also are experts in skylight installation to help you bring natural light into your home.