Is Your Roof Ready for the Winter Weather?
It’s that time of the year again here in the Bay Area – the time of howling winds, surprisingly torrential rain, and rapid changes in pressure. Residential roofing experts recommend that Bay Area homeowners do due diligence before the weather really gets bad. Identify problem areas, stop mold or mildew before it spreads, and prevent structural damage to your property.
Here are some tips:
1. Identify and fix any structural problems, such as leaks, broken and warped shingles, gutter problems, etc. You can do this due diligence yourself by walking around your property, but you might want to call a professional roofing services company to assist. After all, a single rotted out shingle may actually be masking a much larger, indirectly related issue that only professional roofing expert can really identify and fix properly.
2. Find and eliminate potential hazards, such as overhanging tree limbs, that could collapse onto your roof during a storm.
3. Don’t wait until the dead of winter (a.k.a. “storm season”) to hire roofing contractors. As the old saying goes, a stitch in time saves nine. Also, the best people may not be available when you need them the most. Lastly, the indirect costs of roofing damage can be astronomical. For instance, a leak could give rise to a mold problem, which could lead to a pest infestation, which could cost several thousands of dollars to eliminate.
4. Be particularly mindful of any recent roof work. If you built an addition or re-did your tiling – particularly if it was a “DIY” job – your roof may not have been tested by the elements.
5. Come up with systems to keep your roof maintained and stable. You don’t want to have to “freak out” about your roofing maintenance every autumn (and spring). Instead, create processes that you can repeat, again and again, that will keep maintenance costs low, reduce the likelihood of leaks or other problems, and reduce your stress.
Winterize Your Roof and Make Repairs ASAP!
Connect with the team here at Ben’s Roofing today to winter-proof your Bay Area roof. Give us a call today today at (510) 690-8570 or fill out our online contact form here on our website!