Apparently, the roof is the building’s first line of defense from natural hazards such as fire, rain, the wind, snow as well as extreme heat. Furthermore, it is arguably the most vulnerable part of your structure. Most often, your roof is exposed to extreme weather conditions, and this largely contributes to accelerated rates of decay and deterioration, raising the risk of damage to the ceiling itself together with the contents below it.
This implies that as a homeowner, you must make an effort to ensure that the roof of your structure remains in its best condition. As the saying goes, prevention is better than cure, and ultimately, the best preventive care you can implement regarding the care of your roof structure is to conduct regular inspections. Of course, the frequency of roof inspections and maintenance mostly depends on the geographical location of that particular structure. For instance, if your building is closer to the sea or in equally harsh conditions, it will probably require regular and greater care than a building located in an area with more favorable conditions.
How to Keep Your Tenants Happy With Sturdy Roofing
As a property owner, the prospect of conducting regular inspection and maintenance for your roofing is extremely beneficial. Not only does this makes your tenants happy and feel cared for, but it also increases the overall value of your structure. What’s more, preventive maintenance is extremely pivotal in saving you lots of money on a roof by providing an extended life of service. When you have a concrete idea and understanding regarding roof replacements and repair, you can make the most informed decisions for yourself, your budget and your tenants.
It is imperative to note that your roof should be routinely inspected at least once annually, preferably two times in every year. Many property investors frequently include roof inspection in their fall and spring maintenance projects. However, you should know that unless your structure is located in a tropical climate, you should never step your foot on top of your roof during the winter. Why? If you didn’t know, even a subtle patch of ice could potentially result in dangerous slips and falls. But, why should you put your entire life at risk by attempting to conduct roof inspections on your own when you have lots of roofing companies at your disposal? If you are currently looking for a reputable roofing company in the Bay Area, look no further than the Bay Area roofing contractors at Ben’s Roofing. They are highly experienced and handle any form of roofing service, including condominium re-roofing.
It is critical to mention that roof inspections should not just be conducted on the outside, but equally on the inside. Examining the highest ceilings will probably give you a superb idea of what’s exactly happening on the outside. You can use a flashlight so as to gain access to your attic space and check for any potential damage. Early detection is the ultimate way to minimize the anticipated repair costs as well as the time for repairs.
What to look for
Identifying the trouble spots on your roof does not entirely require you to be a professional. In fact, it is a relatively straightforward and quick project that you can carry out with much ease. Below are possible telling signs for both an outside and inside inspection process which might indicate that the roof of your rental property is in dire need of immediate repair.
- Missing or loose fittings: With proper investigation, you should be able to notice cracked, curled or even torn shingles. Curled shingles might be an indication that your roof is past its prime. On the other hand, torn or broken ones can imply that your roof won’t withstand the next storm.
- Discoloration: When the shingles are discolored, this means that mold has developed underneath.
- Missing shingles: Extreme weather might cause shingles to pull up and disappear, leaving behind the exposed material vulnerable to the elements.
- Soft spots: As you inspect the roof, keep an eye on any spots. These spots could signal that your roof deck has undergone long-term water damage.
- Visible light: A visible light shows that there is an automatic route for wind and water to enter your property through the roof.
- Wetness: If you feel or see any wetness in the supports, deck, insulation or elsewhere, know that your roof might be letting in water.
If you come across any of these signs, you should immediately contact a professional roof repair contractor. They include both outside and inside inspection.
Time for replacement?
In certain circumstances, it could be best to consider roof replacement. So what are the scenarios where replacement might be deemed necessary?
- When there are lots of damage to the whole roof.
- If the original roof was incorrectly installed.
- If repair is the latest in a succession of the most recent maintenance.
- If the roof is relatively old and needs replacement within two to four years anyhow.
When it comes to choosing between repairing and replacing the roof of your rental building, you should consult a professional roofing company. A reputable and high-quality roofing company should be able to guide you appropriately through every available option for the removal of the old roof, whether all or partial, the installation process as well as the cost of the ideal replacement material (metal, asphalt, wood and so on).
Second-to-None Roofing in the Bay Area
The roof is an essential component of your property. This is why adequate measures must be taken to ensure that it remains in its perfect state. Regular inspection and maintenance are critical to preserving the beauty of your roof. Through this, you’ll significantly reduce your repair costs, and you’ll also make your tenants happy and satisfied. Give us a call at (510) 690-8570 or user our online contact form for more information about our roofing services.